2. I’m not much for cooking but there will always be coffee.
3. I’ll wear anything of yours with sleeves. I love when they’re long enough to wrap around my hands.
4. Sometimes the world is too harsh, too big. It’s hard to leave the house on days like those.
5. When I was sick as a kid my mom would run a bath for me and wash my hair. It was always so soothing. Maybe you could do that every once in a while.
6. I find it difficult to finish most things. My room is home to countless journals of incomplete thoughts.
7. I won’t love you any less in December. I think my heart just wasn’t meant for the cold.
8. I never truly know why I’m crying so don’t bother to ask, simply be there.
9. There’s whiskey in the medicine cabinet.
10. If things get terribly bad, please don’t give up. Get me in the car and drive to the sea. The waves beneath my toes will wake me up and I’ll be yours again.
I think almost everyone who has had depression has been told this at one point. I know I have. And to be quite honest, I have never said this to other people, but I have certainly thought it. It wasn’t until quite recently when I realized what a hypocrite I was for thinking that. Nowadays I believe that everyone who thinks they may suffer has the possibility of depression and that they should be gently assisted to get help.
Here are some things are NOT evidence for not having “real depression”:
1) if you don’t cut — most people who have depression do not cut.
2) if you have never attempted suicide — you can be depressed without the suicide attempts
3) if you don’t get help — depression makes you feel helpless and out of control of your own life, and having the energy and motivation to get help is contrary to what depression makes you feel
If I come across a person who thinks they might have depression and does not cut, has never attempted suicide, and doesn’t go for help, not having done these does not eliminate the legitimacy of their concerns. Also, having done any of these does not make one’s own depression more legitimate.
I know this is a bit of a tangent, but I agree with what you said and I wanted to add more.